Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wedding website

If you're looking for our wedding website with all the details, gift registry etc, please go to

And if you don't want to spoil the surprise of what everything's going to look like on the day, DON'T SCROLL DOWN ANY FURTHER!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Groom has Decided!

Finally, a decision on what the boys are to wear on our big day. Still no word on what he himself will be wearing though..

Indigo slim-fit jeans
White-on-white collared shirt; half-sleeve
Silver blazer with sleeves rolled up
Black patent leather brogues
Paisley silk scarf (similar colours to bridesmaids' dresses)
Paisley pocket square (although this may clash with the idea I have for boutonnieres)

DIY: Paper Rosettes

In the past few weeks I've been filling my spare time with making a variety of 'hanging things' for the reception. Since it's quite a cavernous space (it used to be a church, so the roof is more than double volume), I felt we needed something to make the space more cosy and intimate.

First was the giant poms, the tutorials of which I've posted before. I've also made doily garlands and started on some paper rosettes today, inspired by Rebecca Thuss:

I followed a little step-by-step by Paper Source. The trick is to use 3 pieces of paper for each rosette, otherwise it can be tricky to close them up at the end. (Apologies for the poor quality photos, I got lazy today and used Photobooth..)

You will need:
  • 3 12x12" pieces of scrapbooking paper (I find it makes them a little more robust this way than just using ordinary copy paper)
  • double-sided tape
  • fishing line, ribbon etc for hanging
Accordion fold each piece of paper (folds about 2cm wide).

Flatten out the sheet and fold in half. Refold the pleats. (This makes the next step a bit easier).

Fold the whole thing in half and join the two ends with double-sided tape.

Repeat for the other two pieces and then join them all together! When joining the last two sides, you may want to encase your ribbon between two layers of tape so you don't need to punch a hole later.

The finished rosettes!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Inspiration Board 2

Credits: Ruffled, Once Wed, 100 Layer Cake, Love and Splendour, Amy Atlas, Green Wedding Shoes, Snippet & Ink. Dress: Vera Wang. Tent: Villa Kula. Cupcake: Utterly Engaged(?). Veil: Delphine Manivet. Flowers: The Orange Blossom, Amy Osaba, don't remember where the gorgeous one on the right is from!

2 week holiday = DIYing spree!

Our goal is to create as much as possible ourselves for our wedding. This includes my veil, bridal jacket, boutonnieres for the boys, pomanders for pew decorations, all the reception decor (including a 'dessert tent' inspired by the Indian mandap and a park bench photobooth), stationery suite and desserts!

I've been busy the past 2 weeks of my holiday making a lot of this.

I've finally started painting the hundreds of jars my family's been diligently collecting. I used glass paint from Eckersley's. Originally I was going to paint them all, but decided on leaving the large ones plain and using them as vases, while the small coloured ones will be for battery operated tealight candlessupplied by my lovely aunt :)

One of the pomanders to go at the end of each pew row. I bought the beautiful two-toned fabric from Fabricana on Etsy.

Due to budget constraints, there was no way we could afford custom letterpressed stationery, but I still wanted to have some kind of printed design. So I tried out lino printing! The paisley design was pretty tricky to cut out and I'm not sure it works all that well with our thick, textured paper, but we'll see how it goes.

And last but not least, my wedding jacket! This was one of those weird decisions where I find myself um-ing and ah-ing for months, then suddenly decide to do something and get straight to it. Even the night before making this, I was contemplating a soft cream cardigan to keep me warm. A fur stole or bolero was also an option, but Naman and I aren't too keen on it (even the faux variety) and I don't think it would have fit in as well as a jacket. The funny thing is I'd starting making this before I'd even met him! 

It started as a tiny little waistcoat from the Stylish Dress Book 2 with silk ruffles made from leftover fabric from my Year 12 Textiles major work. I added some off-white silk charmeuse and chiffon (offcuts from my wedding dress), old tulle, lace that belonged to my great-grandmother and a few pearl beads. I love that all these bits have a bit of a story attached to them. I simply added sleeves (from another pattern in the same book) and a lining. The back is white silk charmeuse overlayed with lace; the same as we used for the bodice of my dress.  I'm thinking of adding some more ruffles all around the edge as well as a bigger ruffle along the bottom as the front is actually quite small. And I still need to hand stitch the lining in place at the armholes :(


Saturday, May 29, 2010